[Snort-users] Writing custom rule for SSL 401 errors

Eric Joe sysop at ...6291...
Tue Aug 13 12:28:03 EDT 2002

Hello,
I am trying to write a snort rule that sends an alert when someone gets a
401 "Authorization Required" error while using SSL. I have the non-SSL
rule working as such
alert tcp $HTTP_SERVERS $HTTP_PORTS -> $EXTERNAL_NET any (msg:"ATTACK
1 401 "; flags:A+; classtype:bad-unknown; sid:1000001; rev:1;)

It works fine, but with SSL encryption I am having trouble with the
"content" parameter. I guess if I knew what HTTP/1.1 401  looked like when
its encrypted, it would be a piece of cake.
Anyone have any insight on this?  Thanks in advance.

--
Eric Joe
Network Operations