[Snort-users] diff between IpLen and DgmLen?

Matt Kettler mkettler at ...4108...
Mon Aug 12 21:24:02 EDT 2002

IpLen (20 in most cases where no IP options are specifed) is the IP header
length. IP header options are rarely used, unlike TCP options which are
quite common. Very few routers will honor IP header options like
source-route nowdays.

dgmlen is the total datagram (packet) length.

Both values are contained in the IP header of all packets. the IPLen is a
4-bit value and is in increments of 4 bytes (ie, max header length = 15*4 =
60), the dgmlen is a 16bit field in bytes.