[Snort-users] which version of snort?

Rich Adamson radamson at ...2127...
Mon Aug 12 05:21:02 EDT 2002

> Can anyone help with versions? I have been trying to select the best version
> of snort to use on an NT4 Server box. Don't need mySQL as all logging is to
> one machine via syslog. I've tried to install several different versions of
> snort but had all sorts of different problems with it..
>
> If I want the latest non mysql stable version for windows, which would you
> recommend?

I've been running Snort-1.8.7b128-Win32_Barebones_Release.zip on a Win2k Pro
and NT server with no installation problems, and using syslog directing
output to 127.0.0.1 in one case and the snort machine's IP address in
another case. Been working fine on low volumes and at an ISP with dual
incoming T1's that are fairly busy.

Both are also working fine with idscenter109b21.zip although the setup
required to make idscenter function is far less than obvious.