[Snort-users] A lil' Snort Install Help....

thelupine thelupine at ...2198...
Wed Aug 7 18:38:02 EDT 2002

On Wed, 2002-08-07 at 21:12, J. Craig Woods wrote:
> Kurupt Kurupt wrote:
> >
> > Hey,
> >
> > Im trying to install Snort on my RedHat 7.2 machine... Im using the install
> > instructions from http://www.snort.org/docs/snort-rh7-mysql.pdf but am a lil
> > confused... DO you need MySql installed with a Webserver and Acid? I tryed
> > google but cant find a simplier TUTORIAL wandering if anyone knows where i
> > can FIND A SIMPLER TUTRIAL just soo i can start using snort to moniter some
> > traffic???? Thanks
> >

> No, you do not need MySQL, a webserver or Acid. Just install snort, and
> use the options for logging that come with snort. You will find these
> options, along with all other set up options, in the snort.conf file.
> Start out with this kind of setup, and then increase your complexity...
>
> drjung
>
> --

If you want though, I used this tutorial:

http://www.sfhn.net/whites/snortacid.html

to help me out getting ACID (which I'm loving) to work correctly on
RedHat 7.3.  Let me know if you need any extra help, I might have some
answers, it's working great for me so far.

-Lup