[Snort-users] A lil' Snort Install Help....

J. Craig Woods drjung at ...5405...
Wed Aug 7 18:03:02 EDT 2002

Kurupt Kurupt wrote:

> Hey,
>
> Im trying to install Snort on my RedHat 7.2 machine... Im using the install
> instructions from http://www.snort.org/docs/snort-rh7-mysql.pdf but am a lil
> confused... DO you need MySql installed with a Webserver and Acid? I tryed
> google but cant find a simplier TUTORIAL wandering if anyone knows where i
> can FIND A SIMPLER TUTRIAL just soo i can start using snort to moniter some
> traffic???? Thanks

No, you do not need MySQL, a webserver or Acid. Just install snort, and
use the options for logging that come with snort. You will find these
options, along with all other set up options, in the snort.conf file.
Start out with this kind of setup, and then increase your complexity...

drjung

--
J. Craig Woods
UNIX/NT Network/System Administration