[Snort-users] ideal setup

quentyn at ...3871... quentyn at ...3871...
Wed Aug 7 11:13:05 EDT 2002

Robert Cole wrote:

> Whats the ideal setup for snort? I'm just now getting into it and reading up
> on it and it looks like a good way to go is put snort on the firewall machine
> and have it log to a syslog server. Correct?
>
> Robert

an ideal set-up would be to have hardware ether taps running to
dedicated sensors. They feed into db servers ( what ever your poison)
all running on a separate network not connected to any other network.
Alerts are via festival ( the voice sysnthsis prog) and SMS (so are one
way only)

this is my dream set-up but is not practical in may situations ( though
it is virtually uncomprimiseable)

Quentyn Taylor
Sysadmin - Fotango