[Snort-users] chroot'd snort + flexresp

Jeff Nathan jeff at ...950...
Mon Aug 5 15:24:02 EDT 2002

This is correct, privileges are dropped before preprocessors are
initialized.  However, there is a solution... though it's a bit of a hack.

There's a patch floating around for OpenBSD that allows any user to open a
raw socket.  For those planning on using this sort of functionality, I
would  suggest using a relatively new version of OpenBSD such that you can
restrict the ability of raw socket packet injection to only the snort user.
The rule in /etc/pf.conf would resemble:

pass out quick all user snort group snort

-Jeff

--On Sunday, July 21, 2002 11:00:47 -0500 David Wollmann