[Snort-users] syslog viewer

Bobby Brown bbrown at ...6536...
Mon Aug 5 14:39:03 EDT 2002

I also send all snort sensors to a Kiwi standard syslog server. I wrote a
little Perl script to parse the syslog file to display the current x number
of alerts and change color depending on the priority flag setting.

I can post the script and samples to
http://www.netsecadmin.com/cgi-bin/getsnipsweb.pl in a couple of days if
interested. Nothing spectacular but works.

Bobby

-----Original Message-----
From: snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net]On Behalf Of darek
Sent: Monday, August 05, 2002 3:28 PM
To: spyguy
Cc: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] syslog viewer

The way I have it set up is that I start snort with the -s flag set.

In /etc/syslogd.conf you can specify:
!snort
*.*                                             @some.host.on.your.net

All alerts will be sent to that host. We use the Kiwi Syslog Daemon for
Windows. It displays syslog messages from many different hosts; router
messages, root logins, ftp sessions, smtp monitors, and snort.