[Snort-users] wincap and ntwdblib.dll errors .....

Chris Reid Chris.Reid at ...2817...
Fri Aug 2 17:19:24 EDT 2002

The ntwdblib.dll file contains the client functionality of Microsoft SQL
Server (also referred to as MSSQL in Snort circles).  This file is installed
by Microsoft during installation of SQL Server, or installation of the SQL
Server client utilities

There are several different Win32 Snort 1.8.x executables which can be
downloaded, each with various features enabled or disabled.  It seems as
though you downloaded and installed one of the Win32 executables which can
(optionally) log to a SQL Server database, but you don't have SQL Server
installed on your Snort machine.  Your two choices are:

1)  Install either SQL Server or the SQL Server client utilities on the
Snort machine.

2)  Download and install a non-MSSQL Snort executable.

Chris Reid