[Snort-users] Problem After Upgrading Snort

Keith Young kyoung at ...6513...
Fri Aug 2 10:49:52 EDT 2002

Troels Leth Petersen wrote:

> Hmm - as my /etc/init.d/snort script referred to
> /etc/snort/snort.debian.conf I was adding var HTTP_PORTS 80 to that
> one. But that file is apparently not used. Also I was not using quite
> the right syntax  - I used '=' for assigning a value, stupid..

Hehe...

> But this HTTP_PORTS is that new - I don't remember configuring that in
> the version I used earlier on? What would be the best place to read
> about general configuration - I think the manual on the website mostly
> is about creating rules for snort.

Yes, this appears to be something new in 1.8.7; I ran into the problem
myself when I upgraded from 1.8.6 --> 1.8.7 and didn't use the new
example conf file.

--Keith Young
-kyoung at ...6513...