[Snort-users] Problem After Upgrading Snort

Troels Leth Petersen troels at ...6511...
Fri Aug 2 09:31:03 EDT 2002

> Troels Leth Petersen wrote:
> <snip>
> > Aug  2 06:11:27 xxx snort: FATAL ERROR: ERROR => Undefined
variable
> > name: (web-cgi.rules:9): HTTP_PORTS
> >
> > I have tried adding HTTP_PORTS to snort.conf and 'var HTTP_PORTS =
> > ...." directly in web-cgi.rules. But that was apparently not what
was
> > needed. I would be very happy if someone could point me in the
right
> > direction!
>
> Does the default "snort.conf" that comes with the distribution work?
> Does your HTTP_PORTS line (in your current config) look like this:
> # Ports you run web servers on. (By default, port 80)
> var HTTP_PORTS 80

Hmm - as my /etc/init.d/snort script referred to
/etc/snort/snort.debian.conf I was adding var HTTP_PORTS 80 to that
one. But that file is apparently not used. Also I was not using quite
the right syntax  - I used '=' for assigning a value, stupid..

But this HTTP_PORTS is that new - I don't remember configuring that in
the version I used earlier on? What would be the best place to read
about general configuration - I think the manual on the website mostly
is about creating rules for snort.

Regards,
Troels