[Snort-users] -b binary capture]

Greg Sarsons gsarsons at ...530...
Fri Sep 28 13:23:03 EDT 2001

 I see that snort by default with binary dump captures 1514.  Well this
 is just to much for my little 30 Gig hard drive on a busy school
 network.  I'm going to do some analysis with snort after but will also
 be using tcptrace, ipfw and a few others.

 If I grab 10%, say 150 vice 1514, will I really be limiting what I can
 do after?  Doesn't tcpdump by default grab 68.

 The traffic bw from what I know on the network has peaked at about
 20Mb/sec but the average seems to be 11Mb/sec.  If I plug into another
 smaller subnet the traffic bw could drop even more.

 Again this has got to fit on a 30Gig drive.  The more days that I can
 capture the better for the statistics.  Filling the hard drive in only
 one day doesn't really give a nice look.

 Any recommendations?

 Greg