[off topic] poor firewall (was Re: [Snort-users] Strange traffic?)

Skip Carter skip at ...1552...
Wed Sep 26 12:17:10 EDT 2001

> I know it is not directly relationed to snort but I got worried when Erek
> mensioned "poor configured firewalls".
> Where could I find some information about *GOOD* IPChains rules and what
> exploit are they for.
>
> Thank's and sorry for the off topic.

   There are a couple of good books, but my favorite is:

   Zigler, Robert L., 2000, Linux Firewalls; New Riders Publishing,
   470 pages, ISBN 0-7357-0900-9

   This book shows what rules to apply to block/allow specific activity
   on an ipchains based firewall.

--
 Dr. Everett (Skip) Carter      Phone: 831-641-0645 FAX:  831-641-0647
 Taygeta Scientific Inc.        INTERNET: skip at ...1552...