[Snort-users] ntop

Florin Andrei florin at ...3506...
Tue Sep 25 14:43:02 EDT 2001

Someone tried to talk me into accepting ntop as a valuable NIDS, arguing
it'e even better than snort.
Now, i'm not at all familiar with ntop but, after a 5 minutes browsing
of its documentation i've got the impression that it's more like a
network traffic monitor with _some_ IDS capabilities glued together.
Can anyone (who's familiar with both tools) give me some actual
differences (things that are missing from ntop)?

--
Florin Andrei

"Our mail system is
MS Exchange-Me-For-A-Real-Mailer-Please" - an unhappy sysadmin