[Snort-users] could not open the connection : timeout

Subba Rao subba9 at ...530...
Tue Sep 25 13:09:02 EDT 2001

On  0, Subba Rao <subba9 at ...530...> wrote:
> On  0, Subba Rao <subba9 at ...530...> wrote:
> > I have installed Nessus 1.0.9 on Slackware 8. The compilation, installation
> > and user addition went very clean. After starting the "nessusd -D", I invoke
> > nessus client. At the password prompt, I enter the password and then I get the
> > "Nessus Setup" window. When I click on "Log in" button, the client waits for a
> > while and then I see "could not open the connection : timeout" message in the
> > xterm. Nessusd is listed in the process list and lsof shows that nessusd is
> > listening on ports 1241 and 3001.
> >
> > I have followed the instructions in the "Demonstation" page @ www.nessus.org
> >

> One more thing I forgot to add was that after a long wait the GUI client
> does show the dialog message with "Could not open a connection to the remote host".
>
> In the archive, the discussion thread on that subject did no reveal how the
> problem was resolved.

I found another archive where this subject was discussed. The problem was with my
ipchains. Where are the official Nessus mailing list archives? I tried lists.nessus.org
and got an error message from the Apache server.

--

Subba Rao
subba9 at ...530...                     http://members.home.net/subba9/

 => Time is relative. Here is a new way to look at time. <=
http://www.smcinnovations.com