[Snort-users] installation problem

Erek Adams erek at ...577...
Mon Sep 24 07:21:06 EDT 2001

On Mon, 24 Sep 2001, Macedo, Marlon  - (Per) wrote:

> any idea about my problem?

Please see my response to you from 9/22/01 below:

---Original Message---

Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 06:52:33 -0700 (PDT)
From: Erek Adams <erek at ...577...>
To: "Macedo, Marlon  - (Per)" <Marlon.Macedo at ...3247...>
Cc: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] installation problem

On Fri, 21 Sep 2001, Macedo, Marlon  - (Per) wrote:

> After installing the package in Solaris 8 and trying to run the command the
> following message appears:
>
> 2wsvil2# snort -v
> ld.so.1: snort: fatal: libssl.so.0.9.6: open failed: No such file or
> directory
> Killed
>
> It cannot find the file but it exists.  Any idea what`s happening?

[...snip...]

Well, to take a guess at it, I'd say that openssl was installed somewhere odd.

First off, find out where the openssl libraries are installed:

        pkgchk -v SMCssl

Then see where snort expects it to be:

        truss -o testing snort -V
        grep libssl testing

Now, you've got three options:

        setenv LD_LIBARY_PATH=<whereever libssl is installed>   (icky)
        cp <libssl installdir>/libssl.so.0.9.6 /usr/lib   (still icky)
        rebuild snort   (best way)

If you rebuild snort note this output from ./configure --help:

  --with-openssl=DIR      support for openssl

[...]

Some influential environment variables:
  CC          C compiler command
  CFLAGS      C compiler flags
  LDFLAGS     linker flags, e.g. -L<lib dir> if you have libraries in a
              nonstandard directory <lib dir>

Hope that helps!

---End Original---

:)