[Snort-users] Configuring Cisco switches...

Bryan Childs bryan.childs at ...3120...
Fri Sep 21 07:22:02 EDT 2001

Ok - after talking to my net admin chappy - he has another question, and I
quote :

"it would be better to ask of the best way to set up an ethernet network to
optimise your chances of capturing information whilst maintaining high
performance switched networks"

and he said to ignore any smart arses that suggested going back to using
hubs :)

Well ?

Anyone got any good advice on this...

On the face of it - turning on the port mirroring on the switch sounds like
it will do the job - but will anything suffer noticeably after we've done
it? (Apart from the snort box, we're expecting that!)

Bry

********

Mercator - find out more at http://www.mercator.com

The information in this email is confidential and is intended solely for the addressee(s). Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorised.  If you are not an intended recipient, you must not read, use or disseminate the information contained in the email.
Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically states them to be the views of Mercator Software Ltd.
Email to and from Mercator may be monitored.

********