[Snort-users] Code Red attacks

Tim Olson tolson at ...2439...
Tue Sep 18 07:21:02 EDT 2001

I personally don't have a problem wth your plan, but I sure understand
the viewpoint that others have about patching someone elses system.
I would suggest a lighter approach....

The server is requesting a file, you let it send one.
Make it a batch file or a a comand shell that just
runs a script that sends a windows POPup message to itself
noting that they are infected and would best have their
system professionally checked out.

Then, after it runs the script, clean up after youself
by removing the files you sent.

This way you're notifying them, but not patching them.

Tim

couldn't we just write an upload a bat file for the server to run ???

ie: update.bat

ftp www.update.microsoft.com/yada/yadda/yadda

get /updates/something/iisupdate.exe

c:\somewhere\iisupdate.exe

shutdown -r now #couldn't remember the windows version of that so I
substituted the *nix version,, you get the
idea.

would that not work?? and since the patch gets downloaded from a MS
server, its less likely to get detractors...

you could also have it email the admin of the server, something to the
effect...

After hours of sustained requests from your server to one of ours,  our
server response has activated,, and has
responded to YOUR servers REQUEST by telling it to download the patch
from microsoft... if you are reading
this, there is a good chance it was sucessful, and you are no longer
suseptable to Code red and its variants.
however, this does not exclude the possibility that sometime in the
period that you were infected, your server did
not have "back doors" installed. you should look into this and take the
necessary steps.

I think thats a nice solution, and it makes it clear that the other
server requested the info, and that the patch
was the response...(its just like manually downloading stuff from the
web, if you download a dodgy program and
install it, you can't blame the guy who wrote it legally because he
didn't force you to install it.... you requested
the download..... see what I mean?

rgds

Frank