[Snort-users] Silcondefense.com Snort_1.8.b77_MSSQL_Binary

Burleson, Lee (IA) Lee.Burleson at ...1358...
Fri Sep 14 12:53:03 EDT 2001

People that are logging to MSSQL: what are you using to view the alerts?

- Lee

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Reid [mailto:Chris.Reid at ...2817...]
Sent: Thursday, September 06, 2001 14:11
To: drew600_1999 at ...131...; Snort Users List (E-mail)
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] Silcondefense.com Snort_1.8.b77_MSSQL_Binary

Stephen,

I was the one who wrote the support for SQL Server in Snort.  For
clarification, no it does not use ODBC.  Rather, it uses SQL Server's
"DBLIB".  To get the TSQL script for creating tables/indexes, you will need
to download the Snort source code.  In there, you can find the TSQL script
in the "contrib" directory (it's a file called "create_mssql").  To enable
logging to the SQL Server database, there should be an example in the
"snort.conf" file.

To install Snort (with SQL Server support) on a Win32 machine, it is
reasonably comparable to installing Snort with support for MySQL, while
remembering to make any reasonable replacements of "MySQL" with "SQL
Server".  The instructions can be found here:

    http://www.snort.org/docs/acid-win32.html

Chris Reid