[Snort-users] Usage stats.

Matthew Collins Matthew.Collins at ...1681...
Tue Sep 11 01:15:02 EDT 2001

The output from kill will not be the snort stats. The snort stats will be dumped on whatever console you started snort from. I use snort in daemon mode, and the stats are dumped into daemon.log by syslog.

Try this.

run snort on 1 console (without the -D option)
switch to another console
kill -USR1 [snort pid]
switch back to snort console, you will see the usage stats.

The only issue then, is where the stats go when you use the -D option.

>>> John Sage <jsage at ...2022...> 10/09/01 19:13:34 >>>
Ah, yes, *that* was the issue...

In fact, when I do any of:

ps ax | grep blahblahblah

and then kill -USR1 [snort pid]...

or

skill -USR1 [snort pid]...

or even

kill -USR1 [snort pid] > /dev/console

none of it works as suggested by man snort.

This is with snort-1.8.1-RELEASE...

Methinks something's broke..?

- John

Dell, Jeffrey wrote:

> If you do any of those things that you mentioned you don't get the stats.
>
> Jeff

Snort-users list archive:

This message and any attachments are confidential to the ordinary user of
the e-mail address to which it was addressed and may also be privileged.
If you are not the addressee you may not copy, forward, disclose or use
any part of the message or its attachments and if you have received this
message in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and
delete it from your system.
Internet communications cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free
as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, arrive late or contain
viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or
omissions in the context of this message which arise as a result of Internet
transmission.
Northern Registrars Limited, Northern House, Woodsome Park, Fenay
Bridge, Huddersfield. HD8 0LA.
Tel: +44 (0) 1484 600900  Fax: +44 (0) 1484 600911
For more information visit our web site: http://www.northernregistrars.co.uk