[Snort-users] Snort On Windows - Major Announcement

Joe McAlerney joey at ...47...
Mon Sep 10 09:58:03 EDT 2001

Hello Michael,

The problem occurs when libnet_write_ip is called.  It fails when the
initial arp attempts to be sent via libnet_win32_send_arp.  I don't
believe the arp itself is the issue, but rather the fact that it is the
first packet to be sent out on the wire.  The result is a
PacketSendPacket error message from WinPcap.

I thought this may be a WinPcap issue, but given the current state of
LibnetNT and a testimonial from Frank, it's probably LibnetNT itself -
passing in bad parameters or what not.

We would like to contribute to any efforts to resolve this, but are not
in the position to take the entire task on ourselves.  It would probably
be a good idea to try your fixed version of LibnetNT to see if that
solves the problem.  If so, then all is well for now and we thank you
for that.  If not, then perhaps a couple of us can pool our resources
together to solve this.

Thank you,

-Joe M.

--
|   Joe McAlerney     joey at ...155...   |
| Silicon Defense - Technical Support for Snort |