[Snort-users] snort dying

Erek Adams erek at ...577...
Mon Sep 10 06:50:06 EDT 2001

On Mon, 10 Sep 2001, Neal Timm wrote:

> Am running redhat 7.1 snort 1.8  logging to mysql with acid.
> The problem I have is at various times snort will just dye no error messages
> or any thing.

Upgrade.  Go to 1.8.1 and see if you're seeing the same thing.  I've never had
to setup anything to keep it alive.

> Just says in syslog etho left promiscuous mode. Have tried not using
> promiscuous mode but still will just
> dye.
> Does anyone have any ideas I hate running a cron job every 10 minutes to
> check the status of snort.

Promisc mode would have nothing to do with the process going away.  Prmoisc is
just a setting for your card.  Tells it which packets to look at...

-----
Erek Adams
Nifty-Type-Guy
TheAdamsFamily.Net