[Snort-users] OS Choice - No Flame War!

gary.smith at ...3189... gary.smith at ...3189...
Sun Sep 9 00:44:02 EDT 2001

Without wishing to start some sort of Jihad/Flame War (_please_ take note)
can someone give me an objective comparison of Snort on the various
platforms?

Everyone will have their own personal favourites and thats fine by me, but
I'm looking to make a long term decision on probe OS and I'd rather that
wasn't made on the back of a "use RedHat because I like it" post.

An objective Win32 vs. *NIX comparison followed by a best *NIX would be
great.

<disclaimer>
I use or have used Windows2000, NT, HP-UX, AIX, Solaris, Mandrake, RedHat,
Caldera.  They are all good operating systems in their own way.  Comparisons
are only valid when discussing equivalent skilled administrators on both
platforms.  I have seen *NIX boxes that were wide open in comparison to NT
boxes I have hardened (and vice versa).
</disclaimer>

Thanks

--Gary;

Information contained herein is the sole responsibility of the Individual
sending the message. No responsibility is admitted by Scottish Amicable
for any loss or damage incurred through use of the email. In addition, no
statement should be construed as giving investment advice within or
outside the United Kingdom.
An email reply to this address may be subject to interception or monitoring
for operational reasons or for lawful business practices.