[Snort-users] Snort -v

Erek Adams erek at ...577...
Fri Sep 7 10:17:02 EDT 2001

On Fri, 7 Sep 2001 tommy at ...3366... wrote:

> I have a general question.  When does it mean when you run Snort (snort -v)
> in verbose mode?  Is this some type of sniffing mode?  Also, I wanted to run
> snort in a sniffer mode and have it dump or make a log of what it picks up.
> What would be the command to do this?  I am running Snort v 1.71 on a win32
> box.  (I know, It should be on *nix!  I am working on that)

-v will show you all the packets that it's currently seeing, but it will _not_
decode them unless told to do so with -d .

snort -b -l <logdir> will drop the binary formatted logfiles into the
<logfile> directory.  To re-read that file later snort -dvr <logfile> | less .

Now you said you were being good and swapping over to *NIX, so I won't yell at
you.  ;-)  One thing you should do--Go to 1.8.1-RELEASE.  It's quite a bit
more stable and robust on any platform!  There are some precompiled win32
binaries on the website, so have a look and pick your poision.

http://snort.sourcefire.com/

Enjoy!

-----
Erek Adams