[Snort-users] AW: (Snort-users) Upgrading Snort 1.7 to 1.8.x

sandro.poppi at ...3316... sandro.poppi at ...3316...
Tue Sep 4 22:21:02 EDT 2001

I just did the same thing this week, RH 7.0, snort 1.7 -> 1.8.1. An RPM can be
found in the contrib section of RedHat's ftp-server
(ftp.redhat/com/pub/contrib/libc6/i386), but this is without databse support. I
created myself a new RPM out of the source RPM with mysql support.

The update runs completely well, where you must have a look on is of course the
manual (PDF version on snort.org) and snort.conf because various entries are new
and others are depricated.

If you want to use Max Vision's rules you too have to care about
/etc/snort/classification.config. Get vision18.conf.gz from www.whitehats.com
and cut and paste all config classification lines, else you get hundreds of
weird error messages beginning with Bad Priority setting...

If you are using a db like mysql, I didn't get advise how to reuse the old db
because the db schema changed too in 1.8.1. I created a new snort-db, ran
create_mysql against it and it worked with ACID.

HTH

So long,
Sandro