[Snort-users] Install errors ??

Erek Adams erek at ...577...
Tue Sep 4 15:23:02 EDT 2001

On Tue, 4 Sep 2001, Hawrylkiw, Dan G wrote:

> it *will* stop with dependency errors.
> The trick is to install (using rpm -Uvh 'dependencyname..' ) all the
> dependencies. There will probably be about 4 to 7 additional RPMs (libs,
> etc-- and yes, those dependencies will also have their own dependencies).
> once gcc RPMs in without errors you should be ready to compile.
>
> If you don't have the CDs, you could ftp for each dependency as you need
> it-- but that gets a little tedious..
> (However, it is still easier than jumping ship to start a *BSD install.
> -Sorry, Erik :-)
> <disclaimer>Not knocking *BSD; I use it too.</disclaimer>

:)   No offense taken!  I'm a longtime SunOS/Solaris user, and the wonderfull
world of *BSD ports collection make me...  Well, let's just say it made my
day.   :)  No need to worry about what you needed....  Just cd
/usr/ports/whatever/port/ && make install .  Done.  No extra hoops, no extra
fixing, nothing!  If Solaris could do that, I think it would be the perfect
OS.  But, I guess my bigotry is showing....  :)  Gotta watch that in my
advancing years, lest I be called a 'Berkeley Hippie.'  Oh, wait--That's a
compliment!

-----
Erek Adams
Nifty-Type-Guy