FW: [Snort-users] Install errors ??

Hawrylkiw, Dan G dan.g.hawrylkiw at ...1966...
Tue Sep 4 12:51:08 EDT 2001

Tim,
Actually, it's not that bad...

If you have the CDs, mount the first one (I don't think you'll need the
second one)..
cd to /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS  (assuming you haven't moved the mount point)

First, try to RPM in the gcc package..
      rpm -Uvh gcc-2.  (hitting tab will complete this for you-- probably
ver 2.96-81)
it *will* stop with dependency errors.
The trick is to install (using rpm -Uvh 'dependencyname..' ) all the
dependencies. There will probably be about 4 to 7 additional RPMs (libs,
etc-- and yes, those dependencies will also have their own dependencies).
once gcc RPMs in without errors you should be ready to compile.

If you don't have the CDs, you could ftp for each dependency as you need
it-- but that gets a little tedious..
(However, it is still easier than jumping ship to start a *BSD install.
-Sorry, Erik :-)
<disclaimer>Not knocking *BSD; I use it too.</disclaimer>

/Dan Hawrylkiw, CISSP, RHCE