[Snort-users] Install errors ??

Erek Adams erek at ...577...
Tue Sep 4 11:47:05 EDT 2001

On Tue, 4 Sep 2001, Tim wrote:

> Iam new to IDS ... well security in general, but it has been an
> insatiable curiosity I have been working towards for quite some time.  I
> find the process of security a worthwhile challenge. Please be
> patient....I have  general  knowledge of security and Iam in search for
> the details and there are a lot of details I need for a better
> understading. I read a lot yet there is so much, that it is practically
> impossible to keep up and still have some kind of life. Your input for
> my better understanding of the details will be gratefully appreciated.

Welcome to the world of "Holy Shit, Batman!  It's a Portscan!"  :)

Two Suggestions, if you don't already have them:

	W. Richard Stevens:  TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume One.  ISBN
0-201-63346-9 ($65)
	Stephen Northcutt:   Network Intrusion Detection, 2nd Ed.  ISBN
0-7357-1008-2 ($45)

With those two, you'll be good and busy for month or so... :)

> I have downloaded the latest realease and made an attempt at compiling
> to no avail....here is the messages I received after running the
> ./configure command :
>
> [root at ...3329... snort-1.8.1-RELEASE]# ./configure
> checking for a BSD compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
> checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... yes
> checking for working aclocal... missing
> checking for working autoconf... missing
> checking for working automake... missing
> checking for working autoheader... missing
> checking for working makeinfo... missing
> checking for gcc... no
> checking for cc... no
> configure: error: no acceptable cc found in $PATH

Ok, if I'm to guess--I'm not a Linux Person, nor do even remotely like
it...--But I think you are missing the 'development' set of RPM's in which
your compiler gcc/cc resides.