[Snort-users] Install errors ??

Tim twr at ...163...
Tue Sep 4 11:19:02 EDT 2001

Hello ppl,

Iam new to IDS ... well security in general, but it has been an
insatiable curiosity I have been working towards for quite some time.  I
find the process of security a worthwhile challenge. Please be
patient....I have  general  knowledge of security and Iam in search for
the details and there are a lot of details I need for a better
understading. I read a lot yet there is so much, that it is practically
impossible to keep up and still have some kind of life. Your input for
my better understanding of the details will be gratefully appreciated.

I have downloaded the latest realease and made an attempt at compiling
to no avail....here is the messages I received after running the
./configure command :

[root at ...3329... snort-1.8.1-RELEASE]# ./configure
checking for working aclocal... missing
checking for working autoconf... missing
checking for working automake... missing
checking for working autoheader... missing
checking for working makeinfo... missing
checking for gcc... no
checking for cc... no
configure: error: no acceptable cc found in $PATH

Being that I am also relatively new to linux (RH 7.1 high end beginner
level) I am not making out what in actuality it is that Iam missing
.... would someone be so kind as to point out or point me in the
direction to where I can find the information  it is that I need in
order to make this installation a successful one. Again, your input to
my quest for the details will be gratefully appreciated.

Tim -- Mia/Fla