[Snort-users] Stealth Interface on Win32 Platforms

Erek Adams erek at ...577...
Tue Sep 4 01:39:03 EDT 2001

On Tue, 4 Sep 2001, Archer wrote:

> Can someone tell me how to do a "stealth interface" for Win32 platforms?

Sure!  Install OpenBSD on it.

*ducks*  Sorry, I _had_ to say it....

> For example, how do you make sure the interface has no IP, do you assign it 0.0.0.0? If you set it to DHCP but don't allow it to get
> an address, it will default to a 169.x.x.x address.

IIRC you can with NT, unbind IP on the card and IP combo.  Since I'm about as
far from a Win32 person as they get, I'm not very much help.  But, the folks
at SiliconDefense are pretty savvy with what Windows type stuff....  *plug*
:)

> As far as the sniffer cable. I read the Snort FAQ and this was mentioned.
> However, I don't quite understand it. could someone perhaps clear it up a
> little?

Problem noted....  :)  If you go thru the archives, within the past week
someone had posted the same diagram using "." instead of " " so it's bit
easier to read.  I don't have a link ATM, or I'd post it...

Hope this helps!

-----
Erek Adams
Nifty-Type-Guy