[Snort-users] Promiscuouls Mode Question

Sten "s10" at Home sten at ...6...
Sun Sep 2 09:28:02 EDT 2001

Jim,

I have seen the same thing on some machines.
Some nic's do not switch to promisc mode properly.

I changed the snort startup script. I added extra
command after snort invocation:
  ifconfig eth0 promisc
that works.

grtz,
Sten

Jim Kipp wrote:

> If I run snort or tcpdump(on eth0), then do ifconfig -a eth0, it does
> not report PROMISC. Only when I manually set promisc does it report it.
> But tcpdump seems to be sniffing everything.  Is this normal?
>
> Thanks,
> Jim

=- To spoof or not to spoof, that is the packet -=