[Snort-users] False positives

Cessna, Michael MCessna at ...3439...
Tue Oct 30 07:02:01 EST 2001

This rule triggers on a Lotus Domino Mail Server overflow error. Do you have
a Domino Mail server? If not comment out the rule. I had a bunch of these
false positives with Exchange so I simply commented out the rule. Here's the
CVE:
http://www.cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CAN-2001-0260

Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Osicki [mailto:osk at ...3916...]
Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2001 9:11 AM
To: Snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Snort-users] False positives

Hi,

I'm trying to reduce the number of false positives I'm getting.
One of the "over sensitive" rule is this one:

alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $SMTP 25 (msg:"SMTP RCPT TO overflow";
flags:A+; content: "rcpt to|3a|"; dsize:>800; reference:cve,CAN-2001-0260;
reference:bugtraq,2283; classtype:attempted-admin; sid:654; rev:1;)

which alarms every time there is a packet containing "rcpt to:"
and the packet payload is more than 800 bytes. Which is not necessarily
the length of recipients list to "rcpt to:".

[fire-proof overalls on]
Having a kind of limited regular expressions or wild-cards and a way
to reference the size of the matched string would be, at least in this
case, useful. Like  `content: "rcpt to|3a|*|0d 0a|"; msize:>800'
I don't have enough experience with snort to estimate how
useful could it be to help detect other buffer overflows.
Just wanted to share my thoughts.

Regards,
Chris

Snort-users list archive: