[Snort-users] upgraded some tools (snortplot)

Martin Roesch roesch at ...1935...
Mon Oct 29 19:00:03 EST 2001

Brian wrote:

> According to Angelos Karageorgiou:
> > =============
> > Oct 22 08:48:19 cat snort[1050]: [1:485:1] ICMP Destination Unreachable
> > (Communication Administratively Prohibited) {ICMP} 193.92.130.201 ->
> > 193.92.44.194
> >
> > Oct 22 09:27:14 cat snort[1050]: [1:499:1] MISC Large ICMP Packet
> > [Classification: Potentially Bad Traffic] [Priority: 2]: {ICMP} 205.160.52.52
> > -> 193.92.44.194
> >
> > Oct 22 12:46:02 cat snort[1050]: [1:480:1] ICMP PING speedera {ICMP}
> > 63.251.167.2 -> 193.92.44.194
> > =============
> >
> > IN the two above lines , both for ICMP traffic, one uses parentheses and
> > one uses square brackets, and the third line has neither parens nor quotes.
>
> Actually, the second one prints its priority and classification.  The
> other two are not.  If thats coming from the same version of snort,
> then there is a bug.
>
> Marty?

Alert number one you've got an alert that has parenthesis in the msg
field.  Alert number two has a classification and priority assigned to
it (classtype) and a plain msg field.  Alert number three has no
classtype assigned to it and a plain msg field.  Looks pretty
straightforward to me.

Let's check.

Sid 485: no classtype assigned, msg field has parenthetical statement
within
Sid 499: classtype assigned
Sid 480: no classtype assigned

> > I do not mean to belittle anybody's work here, I am just saying that maybe
> > we need a rule creation metaengine, probably based on M4 or some macro
> > language which will generate the rules.
>
> No, its not the problem of the rules.  its something else.

Um, everything is working the way it was written to, there are no
problems here except for apparent inconsistency because of the way the
rules were written.  Maybe I should add the "[**]" back to the msg field
for syslog output so there's no confusion.

I don't think that running things thru M4 would have helped in this case
particularly, it's perfectly valid to leave out pieces of the rules,
there are only a few things that are *required* to write a valid Snort
rule, which makes life easier for everyone in general.

     -Marty

--
Martin Roesch - President, Sourcefire Inc. - (410)552-6999