[Snort-users] AW: (Snort-users) snort user not known

sandro.poppi at ...3316... sandro.poppi at ...3316...
Sun Oct 28 22:40:04 EST 2001

> Sorry to post to all, but I have checked the faq and searched
> vis geocrawler archives for snort
> for answers to my question.
>
> I just installed snort via a redhat rpm, and I am getting the
> error messasge below.
>
> [root at ...3935... init.d]# ./snortd start
> Starting snort: [!] ERROR: User "snort" unknown

I assume you did rpm -U instead of rpm -i. According to the spec file I found
for the redhat contrib rpm only when installing (-i) instead of upgrading (-U)
is done the required user/group is being created.

2 solutions:
1. ReInstall the snort rpm with command line switch -i
2. create the user/group using the following commands and additionally add some
things (stolen from the spec file):
       groupadd snort 2> /dev/null || true
        useradd -M -d /var/log/snort -s /bin/false -c "Snort" -g snort snort 2>
/dev/null || true
        chown -R snort.snort /var/log/snort
        /sbin/chkconfig --add snortd

HTH