[Snort-users] How to find Snort pid for log rotate script

James the_saint_james at ...131...
Sun Oct 28 09:48:01 EST 2001

I found a great script to do my log rotation; hacked away at it and it does
everything except stop snort. Here is what the shell script it trying to do:

# Kill and restart snort now that the log files are moved.
kill `cat /var/run/snort_fxp0.pid`

# Restart snort in the correct way for you

#/usr/local/bin/snort -i fxp0 -d -D -h homeiprange/28 -l /usr/snort/log \
# -c /usr/snort/etc/08292k.rules > /dev/null 2>&1

startsnort

James here.....

Snort starts just fine using my "startsnort" script but cat
/var/run/snort_fxp0.pid does not pull a pid, as snort does not have one in
/var/run .  I've done some reading in man but cannot find an easy way to get
the pid currently used by snort. I'm running RH 7.1.

James