[Snort-users] Failed to Connect

Demetri Mouratis dmourati at ...3877...
Fri Oct 26 09:40:06 EDT 2001

I have a snort box setup to log to a postgresql database (snort) on a
remote box.  I'm running RH 6.2 on the sensor and the database server.
Snort is version 1.8.1.

I start snort on the sensor with:

snort -D -c /root/snort-1.8.1-RELEASE/snort.conf

Each time I start snort, it eventually dies.  When I log back in to the
sensor, and grep through /var/log/messages, I find the following relevant
entries:

Oct 23 00:28:12 firewall snort: FATAL ERROR: database:
Connection to database 'snort' failed
Oct 24 15:23:38 firewall snort: FATAL ERROR: database: Connection to
database 'snort' failed
Oct 25 18:09:06 firewall snort: FATAL ERROR: database: Connection to
database 'snort' failed
Oct 25 23:05:53 firewall snort: FATAL ERROR: database: Connection to
database 'snort' failed
Oct 25 23:21:13 firewall snort: FATAL ERROR: database: Connection to
database 'snort' failed

How can I configure my snort.conf so that snort gives me more detail about
what is happening here?  Is there a way I can make the snort process more
fault tolerant?