[Snort-users] ACID and MSSQL

SkatFiend at ...661... SkatFiend at ...661...
Wed Oct 24 06:44:12 EDT 2001

Hi Drew,

Thanks for the info.

I have followed the steps outlined below and can not obtain a "snort" SQL
connection to the "snort" SQL database.

A few questions:

1) should I use "Windows Authentication" or "SQL Authentication" for login to
the MSSQL server???

2) what type of connection is the snort plugin supporting aka: name pipes,
TCPIP, Multiprotocol, ect???

3) any other specific setup parameters???

Thanks, Cliff

------------------------------
Well they don't have a sheet yet.  Mike asked me to type one up but I have
yet to get time.  Here are the basic steps:

1.) Have SQL installed and running either local or on another box.
2.) Create a DB called snort on the SQL server
3.) Use the sql script mssql.conf that comes with the Win32 distribution.
This is a text file with TSQL statements for creating the tables.  You can
run this in many different ways, but I used SQL Query analyzer tool
4.) Create a User for the snort DB and make sure it has enough rights to
add/updated the DB.  I just made my snortuser DBO for the snort DB.
5.) The machine that is running Snort will need the MS SQL client installed.
Install this by running SQL Server setup on the workstation and selecting
the client tools install.
6.) Configure the DB plug-in line in snort.conf to point to the right DB
server and give it the appropriate credentials.

that's the best I can come up with from memory right now.  Give it a try and
see how it goes.