[Snort-users] Re: What can Snort listen for (again)? (steven)

Joe Pampel joe at ...3851...
Mon Oct 22 12:44:06 EDT 2001

If the hosts in question are plugged into the same hub as the snort sensor you're good to go.
If you are running on a switch you have to create a mirror port for snort (so it can see the traffic
on the other ports). On a switched network you will see nothing but the snort hosts own traffic (netbios,
ICMP etc)  and broadcast junk unless you do this.

HTH

>>Message: 5
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 02:21:02 +0800
From: steven <steven at ...2419...>
To: snort-users <snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net>
Subject: [Snort-users] What can Snort listen for (again)?

Hi,

Sorry, I'v post a letter minutes ago, but I found the ascii chart was
messed up.

My question is, can I capture any traffic in the LAN which is not target
to or send from the host which is running the snort? If possible, how
to?

Thanks in advance.
--
steven

home page: http://steven4u.net
tel:       +86 760 8320102
rfc-822:   steven at ...2419...

       \|||/
       (o o)
If money could talk, it would say - goodbye

Message: 6