[Snort-users] AW: (Snort-users) Configure MySQL for multiple snort sensors

sandro.poppi at ...3316... sandro.poppi at ...3316...
Wed Oct 17 22:47:14 EDT 2001

> Hi -

Hi Joe,

> I've been trying to get multiple snort sensors to log to a
> mysql database, with no luck so far.
> I edited the mysql ini file to show the database binding to
> the machine's IP (not localhost)
> and using port 3306.  In snort.conf I use the same settings
> (database at that IP..)
> and I created a user on the DB which takes the form of
> "sensorname at ...3852...". What I get
> when I try to fire up the sensor is an error message which says
> "database: my_sql error: Access denied for user:
> 'sensorname@<ip address>' (Using password: YES)
> Fatal Error. Quitting.

I had the same prob a couple of times. I created the user the following way and
it worked:

mysql> grant INSERT,SELECT,DELETE,UPDATE on snort.* to snort at ...3852...
identified by 'YOUR_PASSWORD';
mysql> flush privileges;

where snort.* means your database tables, snort at ...3852... means User snort
coming from the given ip.

This should be independent of the underlying OS.

[...]

HTH

Ciao,
Sandro