Subject: [Snort-users] Reload rules w/o restarting ? (or overwriting snort.log)

Steve.Rudolph at ...3595... Steve.Rudolph at ...3595...
Mon Oct 15 11:06:03 EDT 2001

Hmm,
Maybe I have a problem here then.  It does overwrite the logfile everytime
and does not seem to save the old one!
This is my run command: /usr/local/bin/snort -i eth0 -b -o -l
/var/snort/logs/ -L snort.log -c /var/snort/conf/snort.conf -D
Might there be something in the snort.conf file?

Steve Rudolph CCSA, CCSE
J. Walter Thompson
World Wide IT

                    Erek Adams
                    <erek at ...577...>           To:     Steve Rudolph/WWIT/J Walter Thompson at ...3817...
                    Sent by:                            cc:     <snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net>
                    snort-users-admin at ...635...       Subject:     Re: Subject: [Snort-users] Reload rules w/o restarting ?
                    eforge.net                           (or overwriting snort.log)

                    10/12/2001 04:58 PM

On Fri, 12 Oct 2001 Steve.Rudolph at ...3595... wrote:

> Thank you for that.  Now is there a way to continue to append to the
> snort.log file when logging packets in binary form while not overwriting
> it?

No real need to worry about it.  Snort will use a format like
"0828 at ...3802..." for the file name.  mmdd at ...449... is the date and time
that
snort was last restarted.  No log overwrites.

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams
Nifty-Type-Guy