[Snort-users] Gigabit usage question

Saad Kadhi bsdguy at ...1472...
Sun Oct 14 22:47:07 EDT 2001

On Thu, 2001-10-11 at 00:44, Phil Wood wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 10, 2001 at 04:35:40PM -0400, Al.Wever at ...3765... wrote:
> > Hello everyone,
> > If this has been asked before I apologize for the duplication.
> >
> > My question is, has anyone used Snort v1.8.1 or the WIN32 version on a
> > Gigabit network?
>
> Yes [linux v1.8.1], but don't really see much more than 75Mbits.
> Start to get a little loss there.  So, I'm not the one to be talking.
> Who out there actually sees 500Mbit and above? (Except when running a
> SmartBits box and looking at when a particular stateful firewall falls over.)

Matt Dillon (not the actor, the FreeBSD core team member) has recently
stated that they have done lotta work on the IP stack of the current
development branch & now FreeBSD can handle up to 900Mb/s on GigE. This
is near-theoritical limits for GigE.  so if you are really worried about
performance problems & you expect a *lot* of traffic, then you might try
going with -current FreeBSD.

--
/saad
[put your signature here]