[Snort-users] Use Snort to document usage?

Madhav Diwan mdiwan at ...200...
Sun Oct 14 19:41:02 EDT 2001

 Interesting idea .. but i would leave the  Snort IDS to run
IDS detection..

 you could concievably  create rules that log source and destination
activity  to and from  a particutar IP or IP-range in snort..  BUT , why
bother when a tool such as ntop already does all this and more ..

my suggestion:

try ntop to monitor the traffic stats.. and create  general policy based
on its results :   thats what it was made for.

then use snort to fine tune your firewall.. THAT is a very good reason
to use an IDS.

Madhav Diwan