[Snort-users] hits to pare down snort alerts

Cessna, Michael MCessna at ...3439...
Thu Oct 11 13:57:06 EDT 2001

If you are running snort just to protect a couple of servers you could first
kill the rules that don't apply to your os. Kill the MS rules if you are
running on *NIX or vice versus. No reason to alarm an IIS Index Server
attack if you don't have an IIS box.
Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: james [mailto:the_saint_james at ...131...]
Sent: Thursday, October 11, 2001 4:37 PM
To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Snort-users] hits to pare down snort alerts

I am running snort on the network of a statewide ISP. It's running in alert
mode. I have the switch set to broadcast the ports for several key servers.
I need some hints on how the edit down the traffic. Any help would be
appreciated, I am reading everything I can but I just got snort running
yesterday, and we were hacked overnight so I need some help in getting the
logs
down to a manageable size.

Snort-users list archive: