[Snort-users] running snort from ip-up

Michael Ritzert Ritzert at ...1820...
Wed Oct 10 11:35:11 EDT 2001

Hi all,

I've the following setup: snort is configured to use $ppp0_ADDRESS as
HOME_NET. My /etc/ppp/ip-up.local is as follows:

#!/bin/sh
snort -Afull -c /etc/snort/snort.conf -i ppp0 -D

Everything works fine when I run that file as root from a normal shell.
However, when this file is run automatically, nothing happens (i.e. snort
does not get started, no syslog entry from snort). I'm positive the file is
actually executed because when I put debug output to a temp file in there, it
gets output as expected.

Has anybody experienced something similar to this? How can I try to find out
what's going on?

Michael