[Snort-users] Deploying snort - Feedback reqd

Fraser Hugh hugh_fraser at ...2804...
Wed Oct 10 07:38:10 EDT 2001

The amount of traffic depends not only upon the number of events, but also
how much information you choose to gather for each event (it can vary
depending on how you configure your rules). It's certainly possible to
estimate the volume in a controlled, well-configured, steady-state
environment. But since the purpose of the IDS is to watch for anomalies,
you'll need to be aware that unexpected events like the Nimda virus have the
capacity to generate huges amounts of traffic from your IDS.

> 2. What is the best way of analysing the data? Would ACID be the best
> solution (based on there only being 1 Sysadmin to maintain all these
> servers)? Or has anyone run an email type solution that uses
> syslog and
> other programs (like logcheck perhaps) to send the sysadmin messages
> when the alert file is updated?

ACID is a good real-time analysis tool. However,  don't have the luxury of
having someone watch a display 24x7. Getting the number of alerts down to a
manageable number is on-going process, but a necessary one to get to the
point where exception reporting is possible. It's an on-going process,
involving tailoring the ruleset to reflect our environment, and some add-on
code to selectively page only for certain alerts.