[Snort-users] Snort, Queso and iptables [FIDUCIA virengepruft - ohne Gewahr, das alle bekannten Viren und deren Varianten erkannt wurden.]

Fyodor fygrave at ...121...
Tue Oct 9 13:54:06 EDT 2001

On Tue, Oct 09, 2001 at 05:21:42PM +0100, Thomas Schweikle wrote:

> > Just about every other day, snort reports a 'Possible Queso
> > Fingerprint attempt' from a machine at kernel.org (most frequently
> > mirrors.kernel.org). This is puzzling to me for several reasons:
>
> Questo is a simple program to find out what OS your host is using.
> Sometimes it misses, but most it guesses correct.
>
> Nothing to worry about. Someone was trying to find out hat OS you where
> using. Mostly for statistics, just to see what OS people use to surf there
> site (sometimes interessting to have an idea what folks are there out
> there).

Actually I reckon someone was posting a while ago on some(this?) mailing
list that certain versions of linux kernel craft packets in such way
that they appear as queso prints (some erroneous flags or something), if
someone is interested, I can really dig it up, but being short you can
blame broken linux kernel here :-)