[Snort-users] Silly startup Question

Erek Adams erek at ...577...
Mon Oct 8 09:17:03 EDT 2001

On Mon, 8 Oct 2001, Tim Parker wrote:

> Erek - thanks for the reply. I am extremely green when it comes to *Nix so
> bear with me (I am from an NT backround).

Well, at least you've moved on.  :)  And as a suggestion to save you a lot of
hair pulling:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0130206016/qid=1002557013/sr=1-8/ref=sr_1_3_8/107-3069594-9204565

Best money you'll spend on Unix books.  :)

> I unzipped the file into
> /tmp/snort-1.8.1-RELEASE and then ran the following commands:
>
> ./configure
> make
> make install
>
> At this point it had me creating some directories under /etc/snort for the
> rules and moving files into them. I am not really sure whether or not those
> first 3 commands actually installed anything??

Well, did you get any errors from the make or make install?  If so, then it
might not have worked.  If you check for /usr/local/bin/snort you should find
it installed in that directory.  The /etc/snort files will be searched for on
startup.  If you created that directory and installed the files all should be
well.

> Maybe I should just go back into the NT/2000/XP world and install the port
> over there???

Errr...  I'll never suggest that to anyone.  :)  I guess I'm a Unix bigot, so
I'll just leave it at that....

> Any guidance or FAQ's on installing this would be greatly appreciated....I'm
> just slightly lost...

Well, there is the FAQ itself that covers some questions about
installing, but the one on snort.org isn't
current.  The one from the CVS tarball is, but not HTMLized.

http://www.snort.org/docs/faq.html
http://www.theadamsfamily.net/~erek/snort/FAQ  [copy from CVS]

Cheers!

-----