[Snort-users] Silly startup Question

Tim Parker hostmaster at ...2310...
Mon Oct 8 08:26:03 EDT 2001

Erek - thanks for the reply. I am extremely green when it comes to *Nix so
bear with me (I am from an NT backround). I unzipped the file into
/tmp/snort-1.8.1-RELEASE and then ran the following commands:

./configure
make
make install

At this point it had me creating some directories under /etc/snort for the
rules and moving files into them. I am not really sure whether or not those
first 3 commands actually installed anything?? Maybe I should just go back
into the NT/2000/XP world and install the port over there???

Any guidance or FAQ's on installing this would be greatly appreciated....I'm
just slightly lost...

Tim

-----Original Message-----
From: Erek Adams [mailto:erek at ...577...]
Sent: Monday, October 08, 2001 11:21 AM
To: Tim Parker
Cc: 'snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net'
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] Silly startup Question

On Mon, 8 Oct 2001, Tim Parker wrote:

> I am trying to set up a test Snort box following the install procedures
from

> http://drsuse.org:8080/snort/snort18.html. I get all the way to the point
> where I am to test  the install with:
>
> snort -l /var/logs/snort -c /etc/snort/snort.conf -o -b -A fast -z est
>
> and it returns that "command not found"
>
> I understand what the error means just not how to fix it......
>
> any help for a new guy! Thanks in advance....

It means that it's not along your path.  First off, where did you install
snort?  If you have it in something like /usr/local/bin then you should add
that to your path.  You also could specify the full pathname to the snort
executeable:  /usr/local/foobar/snort ...

Hope that helps!

-----
Erek Adams
Nifty-Type-Guy