[Snort-users] No trace for corresponding alerts

Sheahan, Paul (PCLN-NW) Paul.Sheahan at ...2218...
Fri Oct 5 13:38:07 EDT 2001

Thanks Anthony. I spoke with Martin Roesch about this in email and he said:

"You've got stream2 and stream4 turned on, turn off stream2 and I bet
everything will work fine."

Not sure if this applies to you, but take a look. I had both turned on. I
probably enabled Stream2 whole experimenting.

Thanks,

Paul Sheahan
Manager of Information Security
Priceline.com
paul.sheahan at ...2218...

-----Original Message-----
From: Anthony Kim [mailto:niceshorts at ...131...]
Sent: Friday, October 05, 2001 3:18 PM
To: Paul.Sheahan at ...2218...; snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: RE: [Snort-users] No trace for corresponding alerts

Paul

I haven't had time to revert back to the RELEASE build of snort.
I set full alerts turned on so I have some correlations. My phantom alerts
typically have some of these weird symptoms:

A bit is set in TOS. The IP ID field is zeroed. The source of the packet
is a Windows machine which normally defaults to a TTL of 128 but comes up
with an unlikely value much higher than the actual hop count. Unlikely
sequence numbers and ACK values, too.

I have far too many of these alerts for it to be mere coincidence or route
flapping. So the problem is one of two:

One) the packets are real and the trace is not occurring (a bug)

Two) the packets are phantom and the trace is correct (the false alerts
never happened) and there is a bug most likely associated with the
pseudo-header used to compute TCP checksums -- you don't get false alerts
for non-TCP traffic do you?

If you turn on alerts to full see if some of your headers have these
symptoms. I will most likely revert to RELEASE or try a new beta build
some time next week. Also correlate your phantom alerts with your trace
file to see if there are patterns before and after the phantom alerts.

Hope this helps.

-anthony kim