[Snort-users] Silicon Defense - Windows on Snort - Apache How-To

Wayne T Work wwork at ...3179...
Thu Oct 4 17:10:04 EDT 2001

Mike,

I have been running snort on Apache with Win2k for sometime. I used the
white paper off the PHP web site and configured Apache for PHP. I also run
the SnortReports on this install. Although I have not taken the time to get
the graph stuff to work for the SnortReports all else is very good. I have
always tried to stay away from IIS especially in light of all the real
holes it still has. you can also use SSL to remotely access the Apache Web
server and secure it's installation. I am using version 1.8.1 77b snort,
PHP 4.0.6-win.zip, acid-0.9.6b15.tar.gz, myodbc-2.50.38-nt.zip,
mysql-3.23.42-win.zip. Pretty kewl stuff.

Good luck. I will definitely check out your paper and procedure. Thanks for
the great info.

At 04:22 PM 10/4/2001 -0700, Michael Steele wrote:

>To all Windows users of Snort:
>

>Please read all the notices below.
>

>Here at Silicon Defense we have tried our best to keep our Windows users
>up to date with all the latest updates to Snort including the latest CVS
>releases. We are also trying to help you have multiple choices as to the
>software you would prefer to run.
>

>We know there are concerns out there as to the stability of IIS and all
>the hoopla surrounding the possible security leaks in that system. We are
>addressing that issue now. We have completed the how-to documentation on
>installing the Apache Webserver in place of IIS on your Windows Snort
>sensor. We hope that this will be beneficial and hopefully create a safer
>environment using Snort.
>

>This new Apache installation procedure is only available at this time for
>ACID, but look for Apache to be added to the remaining installations in
>the near future. We have also added the graphing ability of ACID to this
>installation, and graphing will add it to the other installations in the
>near future.
>

>Notice to all our clients: We will ONLY be supporting the RELEASE version
>of Snort 1.7.1 & 1.8.1 at this time. This includes the new Apache
>installation process.
>

>Link to Downloads:
><http://www.silicondefense.com/techsupport/downloads.htm>http://www.silicondefense.com/techsupport/downloads.htm
>

>Link to Documentation:
><http://www.silicondefense.com/techsupport/windows.htm>http://www.silicondefense.com/techsupport/windows.htm
>

>Happy Snorting, and remember - We ARE the #1 provider of Snort Support, in
>the world.
>
>Mike
>
>           Commercial Snort Support
>                1.866.41.SNORT
>Silicon Defense - www.silicondefense.com
>Michael Steele - Snort Support Technician

Wayne T Work
Manager of Information Systems Security
Cybergnostic.net, Inc
(O) 203.331.4417